MG Hector is Big, Bold and could possibly be Hybrid

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on pocket
MG Hector Hybrid

Morris Garages is gearing up for the launch of the Hector SUV that will kick start their innings in India. The Hector will have both the petrol and diesel engine options. The petrol motor will be a 1.5 L turbocharged unit while the diesel unit is 2 L unit from FCA. This is the same engine that does its duty in the Tata Harrier and Jeep Compass.

Now, we have information to believe that the Hector could possibly sport a hybrid power train. Pictures of the India Spec MG Hector have been leaked online and it sports a “HYBRID” badge. This is very likely to be a plug-in hybrid and will be offered along with a petrol engine. The battery capacity and the battery only range and other specs still remain a mystery though.

SUBSCRIBE WheelBHP YouTube Channel
MG Hector Hybrid
MG Hector, note the highlighted Hybrid badge

The pictures, possibly snapped in the UK, gives an idea of the SUV’s size. It sports a blackened B, C and D pillars for the floating roof effect and a shark fin antennae. The Hector is a re-engineered version of the Baujon 530 SUV, which sports a wheelbase of 2730mm. The Hector in the pictures also sports a long wheelbase, that translates into spacious interiors. It also has shorter front and rear overhang.

MG Hector Hybrid
MG Hector

But the addition of the hybrid power-train could shoot the prices up. This is because hybrid vehicles attract 28% GST and an additional 15% Cess, taking the total to 43% which is huge. On the other hand, pure EV’s attract 12% GST and the word is that the Government is planning to slash taxes on hybrids to 35%.

It is also not known at this stage if the hybrid option on the Hector will be available right from the beginning. MG might introduce the hybrid version at a later stage, based on the demand for the SUV. If offered, the Hector will be one of the very few affordable plug-in hybrid SUVs in India.

Picture Courtesy: Martyn Morris

follow us @ facebook @WheelBHP and our twitter account @WheelBHP 

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel

Tango Sierra

Tango Sierra

Leave a Reply Now

Sign up for our Newsletter